Formed and fabricated weathering steel and stainless steel
15'10"h x 17'5"w x 3'd
Made for the 1996 exhibition Art to Art at the Toledo Museum of Art, a response to the 1953 ceramic mural by Henri Matisse installed in the main entrance of the building. The sculpture translates the two-dimensional graphic imagery of the mural into a three-dimensional, free-standing sculpture. The artist was attracted to the use of positive and negative imagery in the form development.